Re: Calculation of distance traveled by an atom

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2011 - 17:38:33 CST

1) How different are the values?

2) What are the specifics of the methods you are using to do these
calculations? As in, are you using a tcl script in VMD?

There isn't a lot of information to go on here, but assuming you are doing
everything correctly I'd guess at a rounding error due to many summations
over a low precision variable.

To address the above point, have you tried comparing the distance through
both calculation methods for just a single timestep? Since you aren't
doing any summations these should be extremely close.

~Aron