Re: Scaled forces, colvars and harmonic con/restraints

From: Michelle Kuttel (mkuttel_at_cs.uct.ac.za)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 08:16:58 CST

The plot thickens....

After much experimenting, I have finally determined that, for this particular dihedral, the optimal "harmonic" configuration is:
harmonic {
name scanOmega
colvars Omega
centers -180
targetCenters 180
targetNumSteps 500 #these
targetNumStages 72 #are the values
forceConstant 0.005 # in question
}

So ,it seems that my previous values were far too "high". However, I still don't understand why, if I increase targetNumStages and targetNumSteps, I need to increase the force constant as well. "targetNumSteps" should just be number of minimization steps at a particular force, surely, and not affect the applied force, right? But it does!

The use of "harmonic" to create relaxed energy maps is not documented in the NAMD User Guide, other than the comment:
 "The harmonic biasing method may be used to enforce fixed or moving restraints, including variants of Steered and Targeted MD. Within energy minimization runs, it allows for restrained minimization, e.g. to calculate relaxed potential energy surfaces.".
So, I would really appreciate it if someone can explain this to me. Pretty please?
Michelle