Re: OpenCL and AMD GPUs

From: Nicholas M Glykos (glykos_at_mbg.duth.gr)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 01:01:20 CST

Hi Aron,

<snip>
> This means that these cards are practically useless for NAMD (thereby
> forcing high powered computing initiatives to purchase M20xx cards).
</snip>

I probably missed your point here, but on a Kentsfield Q6600 quad and
using the ApoA1 test we see x5 acceleration using a GTX460 card (going
from 0.44 ns/day without CUDA, to 2.22 ns/day with CUDA). Going five times
faster is definitely not 'practically useless'. Having said that, for the
needs of 'high powered computing initiatives' I'm not qualified to speak.

My twocents,
Nicholas

--
            Nicholas M. Glykos, Department of Molecular Biology
     and Genetics, Democritus University of Thrace, University Campus,