Re: PME and net charge in the system

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2011 - 12:12:46 CDT

Salvatore,

A charge nullifying correction is applied to periodic PME simulations,
conceptually like an inverse charge nullifying field.

It is however better to balance the charge in your system with solvated
ions, as the nullification correction is only an approximation.
Simulating a neutral system is always better.

No responsible scientist prefers charges perpetuated through the infinite
axises of the periodic box. Even if a nullifying correction usually
fixes it. ;)

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 773-570-0329