Re: PME Grid Settings and its significance relative to a cutoff value

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2011 - 13:05:26 CDT

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Erik Nordgren <nordgren_at_sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Andrea,
>
> You may find some useful info in the "non-bonded interactions" section of
> the NAMD User Guide.
>
> The efficiency of the electrostatic energy calculation, when using PME,
> should be fairly insensitive to your choice of cutoff.  The main relevance

that is not entirely correct. the shorter the coulomb cutoff, the faster the
real space part of the electrostatic interactions is computed. however,
that should also increase the computational effort in reciprocal space.
since the shorter the real-space cutoff is, the larger the reciprocal space
and PME grid has to be to maintain the same accuracy. depending on
the hardware and system, it may be possible to gain performance by
increasing the coulomb cutoff in order to change the balance between
the real-space and kspace effort (since the real-space calculation
parallelizes much better than the PME part).

that being said, for typical biological systems, it is usually not worth
the effort and one should stick with the recommended value for the cutoff.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer