Re: nitrogen in namd

From: Marco Sant (labicia_at_yahoo.it)
Date: Sun Jul 31 2011 - 05:47:18 CDT

Dear all,
I sincerely thank you for your answers!!

Can anybody give me some information on "lonepair" or "DRUDE"?

On the reasons to use the charges:
I am a post-doc writing an article regarding N2 dynamics in ZIF8; we have already a flexible force field with partial charges computed via DFT which took a fair amount of work to the group, then it would not be nice to use a sorbate with no charges in a sorbent modeled with such a detail. And writing in the article that I couldn't use the charges for the sorbate because the package couldn't do it sounds a bit upsetting :)

Of course I can either do it without charges or use another package, still I will first try my best to do it in NAMD using the charges.

Regarding your suggestions:
the simulation cannot be done simply placing a dummy bonded particle in the middle between the N atoms. To have reasonable dynamics (correct momentum of inertia for example) this atom would need a very small mass (zero is not possible). But then the simulation crashes because:
at first step the dummy charged particle feels a force due to the electrostatics and then, because its mass is very small, the force will produce a big acceleration which will result in a too big velocity that will crash NAMD. The key point is that the bonded force, between the dummy atom and the N atoms, will act only at next step after a displacement occurs. But at that point the dummy particle has already moved too much or crashed the simulation. I have tested this.

Possibilities:
After the suggestion of Jim Philips i looked a bit at the code and saw lines regarding "lonepairs" and "DRUDE". But I found no documentation on this, it seems like this part is currently under development.

Any further suggestion would be welcome!!

I confirm that the negative charge is on the Nitrogens and the positive in the center of mass. At least in the TraPPE model of N2:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aic.690470719/pdf

Thanks a lot,
Marco