Re: Iron Oxide and Arsenic

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2011 - 17:38:21 CDT

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Salvador H-V <chava09hv_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Axel,
>
> It seems for me that I have only two options: Coarse-grained simulation with
> an effective potential or ab initio molecular dynamics.

all-atom simulations also use effective potentials.

> I was wondering if you could suggest a free software to performance
> ab-initio molecular dynamics.

there are several packages. all of them have strengths and weaknesses.
it is very difficult to recommend something. also, the question is whether
you can actually extract the information you want to find. you need a
significant chunk of compute power and still can only do 10s to 100s
of picoseconds at the most.

> I took a look in google and wikipedia, but to be sincere, I am lost with all
> the possible options!

you are looking in the wrong places. you have to search the literature
for people who have done something similar with compounds that
have similar properties. there is a large variety of empirical potentials
for inorganic materials, but you won't find them mentioned in webpages
related to "bio" simulations.

what i would expect to be the most likely way to do meaningful
simulations would be by generating your own parameter set
(not easy, though). the main question is whether you want to
simulate (nano)particles or solvated ions, how much the
two oxides would see each other and generally, what their
chemistry is. i would then start looking for publications of
similar simulations.

cheers,
   axel.

--