Re: GPU-CPU small-scale machine for NAMD

From: Darko Stefanovski (stefanov_at_usc.edu)
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 12:10:31 CDT

Hi Francesco,

GTX460 has 336 CUDA cores and if you go with three of them you will be
getting 1008 CUDA cores.That is very close to the performance of a
GTX590 which has 1024 CUDAs and approximately the same memory. Now in
regards to working with two computers with CUDAs, We do have a setup
like this here but unfortunately working through Ethernet is extremly
slow. Part of the slow down is associated with the protocol you will be
using. I tried both rsh ans ssh and two machines working on the same
problem as one machine was much much much slower. Perhaps we are doing
something wrong.

Best wishes,
Darko