Re: what will be the best way to simulate substrate interaction only within a binding pocket of a large protein.

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 15:20:18 CDT

Hello Arun, if you freeze most of the protein, you're not gaining much,
because you're still computing all the non-bonded interactions between the
protein and the rest. Also, as you said, you still need to solvate the full
protein with water, most of which would go to waste. Personally, I'd much
rather leave the whole protein free to move, if you have it.

Or, if you really need something "quick and dirty", I would suggest cutting
away most of the protein altogether and keep only the binding pocket, which
you can then solvate with a much smaller water box. Since this is just a
fragment which could lose quickly its fold, to keep it in place you may use
harmonic position restraints (keyword: constraints) rather than freezing
(keyword: fixedAtoms).

Giacomo

---- ----
  Giacomo Fiorin - Postdoctoral Researcher
  ICMS - Institute for Computational Molecular Science - Temple University
  1900 N 12 th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
  giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu
---- ----