colvars orientation problem appears in 2.8 only?

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 18:41:17 CDT

 I just ran into an issue, something that worked in 2.7 but no longer works in 2.8. Specifically, using a harmonic to restrain an orientation. The error is this:

colvars: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
colvars: Collective variables initialized, 9 in total.
colvars: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
colvars: Initializing a new "harmonic" instance.
colvars: # name = "harmonic1" [default]
colvars: # colvars = { Omega }
colvars: # forceConstant = 500
colvars: # centers = { ( 1 , 0 , 0 , 0 ) }
colvars: Trying to use a colvar value with type "4-dimensional unit vector" as one of type "scalar number".
colvars: If this error message is unclear, try recompiling with -DCOLVARS_DEBUG.
FATAL ERROR: Error in the collective variables module: exiting.

------------- Processor 0 Exiting: Called CmiAbort ------------
Reason: FATAL ERROR: Error in the collective variables module: exiting.

and the relevant part of my input is this:

colvar {
  name Omega

  orientation {
    atoms {
      atomnumbers { ... }
    }
    refPositionsFile ../reference-protein.pdb
    refPositionsCol B
  }
}

harmonic {