Re: protein on solid surface

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2011 - 11:21:33 CDT

Hello Giovanni, I think Cartesian coordinates of the protein's center of
mass can be used as collective variables, and should be also very intuitive
to analyze. Use a distanceZ-based colvar in all three cases, redefining the
"axis" each time. Along x and y (surface-parallel) you may want to define
their period, to take advantage of the periodic boundary conditions. To
prevent the protein from coming off, you can set a boundary potential along
z, which doesn't kick in within a tolerance distance of your choice: this
way the protein can be free to jump over the corrugations of the surface,
but not come off it permanently.

Giacomo

---- ----
  Giacomo Fiorin - Postdoctoral Researcher
  ICMS - Institute for Computational Molecular Science - Temple University
  1900 N 12 th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
  giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu
---- ----