Re: Advisable limit on the number of quadrants a 2D ABF simulation can be split.

From: Jrme Hnin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 06:25:30 CDT

Hi Ajasja,

It's hard to have a gut feeling when you didn't tell us anything about
your system. As a comparison though, remember that people who do
umbrella sampling would probably chop up this space into at least a
hundred windows, and suffer any convergence problems that would arise.
The difference is, they would have no other choice (besides
relinquishing umbrella sampling entirely). So whatever you end up
doing, you can find comfort in the fact that it's better than umbrella
sampling.

Anyway, the questions are: are there degrees of freedom other than
your RCs that can get stuck? (hint: the answer is yes) and then: how
much do the RCs have to move about to give those a chance to get
unstuck (and how long will it take)? That should give you an idea of a
minimum size for the quadrants, and a minimum sampling time for each
of them (of course that can and should be adjusted by monitoring
relaxation in the simulations).

Cheers,
Jerome