Re: Job scheduling (managing) software recommendation

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2011 - 09:16:38 CST

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Ajasja Ljubetič
<ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear NAMD users,
> Does anybody have a recontamination for a job scheduling software suitable
> for a small home (lab) build cluster? Preferably one that is easy to install
> and supports dependencies between tasks (and *gulp* supports windows).
> I have the following situation:
> 8 nodes if 8 processors (AMD opteron)
> 2-10 nodes of Core i7-870
> On this I would like to run ~100 short NAMD jobs (a couple of days
> processing).
> After googling I found
> http://www.rgordon.co.uk/projects/oddjob/screenshots.html
> http://jobscheduler.sourceforge.net/osource_scheduler_quickstart_en.htm
> But I must have been using the wrong keywords (job scheduler, job
> manager..). By accident I stumbled on:
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/
> which seems almost ideal.

condor is great for "cycle-stealing" and you can compile
Torque for cygwin, but are you sure that you will not spend
more time installing and configuring those facilities rather
than running your jobs?? ...and what about the habit of
windows users to reboot their machine if anything is amiss?
that will take your job(s) down with it, right?

 i usually find it _much_ easier to ask for computer time
on facilities that are already set up for that kind of task.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer