Re: Strange (very large) atom motions

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 18:18:24 CST

Craig,

Two things immediately come to mind:

1) All of your crashes sound like they're occurring due to extremely
high velocities that violate RATTLE limits, produce global exclusions,
etc. These high velocites are resulting b/c of ... let's call them
"wonky" ... interactions between the Fe and your phenanthrolines. It
sounds like your parameterizion is off, perhaps contaminated with a bad
mode that oscillates the Fe and N too close which results in very high
forces pushing them apart too fast. It could also be that you missed a
mode that's crucial to balance and prevent the high oscillations you're
seeing. You don't mention how you handled your charge parameterization,
which could directly influence the strength "wonky" interactions.

2) A second thought is that you're simulating a +2 simulation cell (I'm assuming
standard redox state of ferroin) as a vacuum. Have you tried adding
chlorine to the system to remove the formal charge of your cell?

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733