Re: about Hydrogen Bond correlation function

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 06:49:40 CDT

Dear Jun Zhang,

The specific nature of your system determines which case is best suited for
you. Chandler's paper examines liquid water, in which case it is a system
of homogeneous pairs, and <> over all pairs describes a statistical
microscopic property of the bulk system; in this case it makes sense to
average over all pairs. In the case of a protein system, which
contains heterogeneous pairs that are not a regular lattice, <> over all
h-bond pairs does not seem particularly meaningful. In such an example, you
should most likely restrict <> to a particular h-bonded pair over your
trajectory, unless you are examining for example the water-to-water
h-bonding properties of water solvating the protein.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733