Re: Changing functions without recompiling

From: Joshua Adelman (jla65_at_pitt.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 20:42:42 CDT

Hi Cole,

As Axel suggested, there are other MD packages that handle this type of functionally without modification. An alternative to tabulating the functions is a direct mathematical expression parser like the one that is found in OpenMM (https://simtk.org/home/openmm), which is called Lepton (https://simtk.org/home/lepton).

Depending on what types of simulations you are planning on running, you might want to give OpenMM a try (or at least a look) since it allows you to write custom force-field terms and has a nice python wrapper. It's not a full-fledged MD code, in that you basically have to assemble the parts from scratch, and the CPU mode is largely unoptimized, but if you have access to any decent GPUs, it can be quite fast even with the custom force calls. I've been using it mostly to run some coarse-grained simulations, but you can run fully atomistic biological systems as well. It may not be the right tool for this job for any number of reasons, but I just wanted to throw out another option.

Back in NAMD 2.6, I hacked in some custom force calls, based on the GlobalMaster routines, but that only ran on the head process and you had to recompile each time you made changes to the underlying functional form.

Best of luck,
Josh