Re: Using CHARMM-GUI membrane builder with NAMD

From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 03:43:53 CDT

For the protein, using restraints is not a problem.
But for water restraints don't make much sense as one would like to let
water diffuse during equilibration (just keep it away from
the hydrophobic core). The same is true for lipids. They should be free to
move in the xy plane of the membrane, but restrained not to go out of the
plane or turn to much.

My current system is just an alpha helix in the membrane. Probably it would
run OK, even If I just heated it without restraints (but I don't have
enough experience with membrane systems yet to know if this is true or not.
Or if water would penetrate too deep. Maybe if I heat the wrong way I could
introduce some artifacts that would take a long time to relax or something.
This is why I wanted to follow an established membrane equilibration
protocol.
So when equilibrating a membrane system is it really necessary to keep water
out?

Best regards,
Ajasja