Re: different values of "1-4scaling" in a system

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 11:49:49 CDT

Daisuke,

"1-4 nonbonded interactions, involving atoms separated by three covalent
bonds, do have nonbonded contributions as well as their spatial relationship
being influenced by the internal terms, including the dihedral term.
However different biomolecular force fields treat the 1-4 nonbonded
interactions differently"

Now that that's out of the way, NAMD only supports a 1-4 scaling term that's
consistent across all 1-4 terms in the selected forcefield (ff), as do (as
far as I know) all other MD programs. It is rather 'odd' to have differing
1-4 scaling within the same ff, though of course 1-4 *terms* are common.

I would suggest that the most efficient route to properly resolving your 1-4
term differences would be to re-parameterize the 1-4 terms in your modified
ff.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733