Re: Re: colvar atom syntax

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2010 - 11:20:33 CDT

Hi Michael, upperBoundary is chosen by you. There is no way to tell which
is the highest possible RMSD value without knowing the system. You chose 2
Å for a specific reason (i.e. to keep the protein close to the ref
structure), but in general it can be much higher.

Anyway, the force will kick in only after RMSD goes above 2 Å: no matter how
strong the force constant, you will always have some RMSD values a little
over 2 Å. There is no way to enforce it as a hard limit without using
infinitely large forces (which is actually what would happen if the code
were to automatically enforce the hard boundary). However, you can control
the tolerance by lowering or increasing upperWallConstant.

Also, although you can set upperBoundary wherever you want, its more
appropriate usage is as you suggested in your mail, as the highest
theoretically possible above which the RMSD really never goes. Use
lowerWall, instead, to put, a wall on a smaller RMSD value, and keep in mind
that you'll always have to allow for some tolerance.

Giacomo

---- ----
 Dr. Giacomo Fiorin
 ICMS - Institute for Computational Molecular Science - Temple University
 1900 N 12 th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
 giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu
---- ----