Re: ABF: moving system in Z direction

From: sefer baday (SEFER.BADAY_at_unibas.ch)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2010 - 04:58:51 CDT

Hi Giacomo,

Thanks for your comments.

On 19 Apr 2010, at 19:16, Giacomo Fiorin wrote:

> Hi Sefer
>
> 1. and 2. Movements in all directions (x, y and z) won't be a
> problem, because the distanceZ component is calculated with PBC
> taken into account. Just make sure you didn't specify 'wrapAll' in
> the case of a multimeric channel. We wrote this in the user guide,
> but it doesn't hurt to remind it.

I used wrapAll option. I thought it is fine according to this
criterion " ii) it has all its atoms within the same molecule "
Maybe I misunderstood this one " iv) it is used by a colvar component
that ignores the ill-defined Cartesian components of
its center of mass (such as the x and y components of a membrane’s
center of mass by
distanceZ). "

I will try without wrapALL option.

> 3. The theoretical range goes from -l_z/2 to l_z/2, unless you put
> in some walls to confine the ammonium. If you haven't seen negative
> values yet, it may be simply that you haven't sampled that region
> yet, but that you will later in the simulation. But, if the minimum
> value is *exactly* zero, there is something strange going on. What
> are your lowerBoundary and upperBoundary? They should be a negative
> number and a positive number, for distanceZ.

With the zero minimum, I mentioned the value of the PMF. The reaction
coordinate is the distance between pore and the ammonium in Z-
direction. The reaction coordinate is sampled good enough. The
upperBoundary and lowerBoundary is both negative. For my purpose it
doesn't make sense to put like -l_z/2 to l_z/2.