Re: FW: Parallel Simulations

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 06 2010 - 21:16:14 CST

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:08 PM, snoze pa <snoze.pa_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Try to use charmrun and define the number of nodes in a file nodeno.txt as
>
> ---------
> node1
> node2
> node3
> node4
>
> don't use dotted lines in your file, its for example. If each node
> have 2 cpu, then you can use +p 8. This means you are using 8 cpu's

please note that this advice is most useful for the -net versions downloaded
from the namd homepage. for self-compiled MPI versions, it is almost always
better to use mpirun with the local setup. particularly, node oversubscription
in the form as it is described here, will negate any effort from the sysadmin
to have the cpu affinity set up through batch/mpi. which in turn can have a
_significant_ impact on most current CPUs.

if you don't care about scalability, run only on a few nodes, or maxmimum
efficiency, then using the precompiled binaries is recommended (in fact,
quite often they may still be faster than locally optimized versions, when
those are "overoptimized").

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology