Re: ABF - sequence of MD runs

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 11:26:22 CST

Dear Krishnan,

First, to produce a combined PMF from separate simulations, the best
practice is to use produce an average of the gradient (.grad files)
from all simulations, weighted by their respective sample counts
(.count files). Then, integrate the averaged gradient numerically to
obtain the statistically-correct PMF.

The presence of the bias in a run should not have a deleterious
influence on the following one (provided that the system was not
driven far from equilibrium). The reason for this is that ABF applies
biases on some degrees of freedom (the reaction coordinates), but
computes averages at fixed values of the reaction coordinates:
therefore computation of these averages only relies on sampling other
(unbiased) degrees of freedom.

Best,
Jerome