Re: FEP: How check equilibration sufficiency? calculate dG?

From: Sebastian Stolzenberg (s.stolzenberg_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 11:44:51 CDT

Thank you Floris, Chris, and Jerome,

1.)
I followed Chris' suggestion and got:
delta_G=-kT*ln(1-<\delta H >_ref)
Is this the dG cum. average shown in the last column of the fep output file?
If yes, then I still don't understand how one can get delta_G, since the
<.>_ref term still contains unaccessible exp(-H) terms.

2.)
Please correct me:
The way I understand how FEP works is that it runs two different systems
corresponding to lamda1 and lambda2 at the same time, collecting energy
values after the equilibration phase to obtain a cum. average of dG. I
have to make sure that both systems are well-equilibrated, and not just
"difference" observable between them.

I would love using dG (cum. aver.), but is it really a good measure for
convergence? Assume a system got stuck into a local minimum and only at
the very end of the equilibration phase, it leaves that local minimum.
This will not show up in a cum. average quantity. Are mere energy values
any better to check for convergence? (I doubt because these numbers are
soo large).

Thank you for your help again,
Sebastian