Re: Calcium ion-Protein Binding

From: MIke S (vmd.namd_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 12:54:20 CDT

JC thanks for the tips.

So far I tried creating bonds between a caclium ion and the surrounding
residues by adding the corresponding bonds in the PSF file, but that hasn't
worked because I don't have the correct parameter set for the Calcium-Oxygen
bonds in the parameter file. So, I tried using the values from the OH1-CT1
bonding parameter to see if I could minimize the system, but I got a
Segmenation Fault error. I'm not sure why this happened. I looked this
error up on this forum and from my understanding this might be related to
overlapping of coordinates. I'm running an equilibration of my protein
with fixed calcium atoms right now. My main concern with this strategy is
that the simulation won't be a true representation of the unfolding that
will occur in the calcium binding domains.

I neglected to mention in my previous message that I'm running the
simulations in vacuo. Do you think this would be contributing to the
displacement of the calcium ions?

Thank you for the assistance,

Mike