Re: Which conformation is more proper for the SMD

From: Eric H. Lee (ericlee_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2008 - 13:47:27 CDT

Shulin -

Your RMSD values do suggest that the protein is most likely
equilibrated. I have done quite a few SMD simulations myself and have
published procedures on equilibrations before the SMD run. In many
cases today, I will equilibrate for much longer than 1ns, but then I
also run rather large flexible systems that often require 20-50ns for
accurate sampling. Feel free to do a pubmed search for "Lee and
Schulten" and you'll find a few references.

I think what is clear from your brief equilibration simulation is that
the protein you are studying is fairly flexible/mobile, and this is
leading to the dynamic behavior of the hydrogen bonds you observe.
What you might look for then, are the hbonds which are conserved
throughout your entire equilibration simulation (or towards the last
few 100ps of it), using a much more stringent criteria (closer
distance, narrower angle). These are likely the critical hbonds
involved in enforcing stability for your protein.

-Eric