output area

From: JARROD EDWARD CHARLES NICKEL (NICKELJE62_at_BrandonU.CA)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 15:26:49 CDT

In the log file output from NAMD there is a value for VOLUME which is the periodic cell volume, and by my understanding is calculated by the cellBasisVector[1 2 3].
My question is, can one output the area for example in the x-y plane using the same method as the volume calculation?
It seems possible since the program must have values for the 3 components of the cellBasisVector in order to calculate a volume, I just need help on HOW to get output for the x-y area...?

Thanks,
Jarrod