binary install question

From: winsvern_at_isu.edu
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 15:23:29 CDT

Please forgive me for asking a question that I should know the answer to.  I have downloaded the linux binary files (NAMD_2.6_Linux-i686), and they run fine when run from that directory if preceded by ./ (./namd2, etc.).  Copying the individual files (as root) to /usr/local/bin allows my users to run from their own accounts.

My questions:  Is it OK to copy individual files this way? I am using openmpi, and don't plan to use charmrun.

Is the /lib directory included in the /NAMD_2.6_Linux-i686  folder required by any of the binaries, and if so, where should it be installed? Or should I be installing the whole /NAMD_2.6_Linux-i686 directory somewhere?

 I am sure that the answer is right in front of me in the documentation, but I am missing it.  Sorry.

Vern Winston
Idaho State University
Department of Biological Sciences