Re: Stupid question about compiling NAMD with cygwin on windows

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2008 - 14:35:54 CST

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, accomp lin wrote:

AL> Dear all

dear ???

AL> I'm quite new to compiling charm and namd, so just followed the
AL> instructions on the Release Note to compile NAMD 2.6 on windows xp
AL> with cygwin. When I typed "./build charm++ net-cygwin" and I got
AL> this"

before compiling charm/NAMD from source, please state
whether there is a specific reason why you want to do
this, especially under windows. as you may see from
quite a few posts to this mailing list, this is a fairly
non-trivial process and especially building software under
windows can become quite complicated and painful.

AL> Generating net-cygwin/tmp/conv-mach-opt.h, conv-mach-opt.sh
AL> Performing 'make charm++ OPTS=' in net-cygwin/tmp
AL> ./build: line 460: make: command not found

well, you cannot compile with makefiles if you don't have
the make tool installed or in your path.

AL> Charm++ NOT BUILT. Either cd into net-cygwin/tmp and try..."
AL>
AL> and the line 460in the build file is "
AL> $MAKE $MAKEOPTS $PROGRAM OPTS="$OPTS $BUILD_SHARED"
AL>
AL> So, what's my problem? Do I have to install VC++ to solve it?

no. you need a full unix-like build environment.

cheers,
   axel.

http://card.mail.cn.yahoo.com/