Re: ABF calculations

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2007 - 15:56:17 CST

Jancong,
If I were you, before starting such a calculation, I would get a feel
for the technical issues involved by trying to run a "small", "easy"
ABF calculation, such as the acetate-guanidinium ion pair that we
describe in the reference paper of NAMD's ABF implementation.

I don't think the "brute-force" approach will work here. In
particular, the orientational averaging would not work. It would
probably be possible to sample a particular dimerization pathway by
enforcing orientational restraints (see e.g. the acetate-guanidinium
case).

Is the interaction *free energy* along a dimerization pathway really
what you are interested in? There should be means to estimate the
interaction energy in the dimer through "standard" simulations,
although I have never thought about the specifics. Anyway, that would
be easier to obtain and probably easier to interpret, as well.
Jerome