Re: What is an IC table in the .inp files

From: Alessandro Cembran (cembran_at_chem.umn.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 14:23:08 CST

Ilya,

The internal coordinates have no influence at all on the energy or
forces, they are only needed (at least with CHARMM-the program) when you
want to build a residue from scratch or in a few other cases. Again,
they do not affect the connectivity or the structure. What matters is
the connectivity specified in the topology file (most important is BOND,
and ANGL and DIHE only when not using auto angl dihe). Once the
connectivity is specified, then the relative equilibrium values and
force constant are looked up in the parameter file. Those are the
numbers that have an influence on the energy and forces, forget about
the IC table. One important thing, if you are using lipids or residues
in general that need to be patched, always remember to "auto angl dihe"
right after the patch (this is for CHARMM-program, I guess there should
be something similar for NAMD psfgen) and put your water at the end
(most water models give raise to problems when auto angl dihe is in use,
so that's why you need to put the water at the end).

Hope this helps,

Alessandro