Re: NPT_NPgammaT_or_NPAT_for_membrane_with_CHARMM_forcefield

From: L. Michel Espinoza-Fonseca (mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 19:29:31 CST

To do science one should be (according to my very personal point of
view) as open as possible to accept the fact that what one does is
basically our best available approximation. Even "in vitro" and "in
vivo" experiments are approximations, and we have been relying on that
approximate knowledge to solve a problem. This is not "fudging". If
you become very orthodox, then (I say it in a very respectful way, so
please don't get offended) you should find something else that you
might not consider as "fudging". I repeat, science is just an
approximation and we try to do our best to get it improved.

Meeting experimental results is part of our job as theoretical
biochemists/biophysicists. There is a nice paper by Ruth Nussinov
where she nicely describes how important is to make experiments and
theoretical calculations very good (and necessary) partners. And this
is not about pleasing reviewers; it is more about showing to other
scientists that we are able to integrate the bunch of data with the
simulations and come up with a solution to improve what has been done.
By doing that, at the end you'll be the one who is the most pleased.

Finally, and in agreement with Richard Law, if you're unable to
"please" the reviewers, the you won't be able to publish any work, get
grants and continue doing your research. That's a very important part
of science: Learning from others (the reviewers, for instance) and
sharing your knowledge by publishing.

Michel