Re: NPT_NPgammaT_or_NPAT_for_membrane_with_CHARMM_forcefield

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2007 - 12:05:54 CST

Here is my thinking on the issue. Someone please correct me if I'm
wrong.

The most accurate way is to simulate at NPAT with the appropriate
area per lipid, although, when simulating with a protein, I don't
think it's obvious how to calculate a precise area/lipid. I think
many of us get away with NPT because we are not interested in the
behavior of the membrane anyway, as long as it keeps the protein
"happy"; it may not be worth the trouble to find the optimal area.
This is assuming your area stabilizes though, which sometimes, it may
not (it can shrink a lot in some cases). Then you will certainly
want to use constant area.