Re: Determining Transition State from an Unfolding Simulation

From: E. Prabhu Raman (eraman_at_gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 08:09:07 CDT

Neelanjana:
>see if it is stable over an extended period of time.
> If you
> find that the energy is stable too, then you "may" think that you have
> encountered a transition state. However, a lot of caution is
> required in
> your treatment...

I do not understand your point of finding a stable state. During a constant temperature run, the transition state will be populated for a "short" time right? (as by definition the transition state is the maximum of Free energy as a function of the reaction coordinate) Then why are we detecting a stable state? (I think by this, we will end up detecting the equilibrium state at the simulation temperature and not the transition state)

Arun: You have complete unfolding trajectory right? i.e you start from a fairly folded state and end at a unfolded state where most native contacts are lost ? Because if the trajectory is not complete, then detecting the transition state(s) using snapshots showing steep buildup of reaction coordinate might not be right.

-Prabhu

E.Prabhu Raman
Ph.D Student, Bioinformatics & Computational Biology
George Mason University