NAMD on dual core, dual processor machine?

From: Brian Genge (tiger_at_mail.chem.sc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 10:23:31 CDT

I have been running NAMD on Dell Lattitudes 820 dual core & older P4 machines (both XP and Vista) and it performs flawlessly on all the machines for weeks at time. I have recently acquired a Dell precision 490, dual core, dual processor Xeon (5150 chip), it will run only for 1-5 hours before crashing, giving me an application error in ntdll.dll.

looking at the "For more information about this error, click here." I get
a little box with namd2.exe in the heading

namd2.exe
Error signature
AppName: namd2.exe AppVers: 0.0.0.0 ModName ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2932 Offset 00010efe

 I have spend several weeks on trying to resolve this via software issues, i.e contacting Microsoft, extensive internet searches, 'hotfixes' from microsoft (newer version of ntdll.dll) etc, but still no improvement. So now I will be getting memory replacement from Dell. I am suspicious that this still will not resolve the problem, and that it may be related to running NAMD on these newer, dual core, dual processor Xeon woodcrest machines. Has anyone else had success running NAMD on similar machine? Thanks.

Brian Genge