Re: SIDECHAIN _RMSD

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 07:54:35 CDT

Hi Karol,
VMD needs at least 4-5 atoms for a reliable fit, and preferrably more.
However, you're performing your fit with the heavy atoms in a single
side chain, which is probably unreliable unless it's a large one. I'd
recommend one of the following two options:
-Do the fitting based on the entire protein's backbone, and only the
rmsd calculation using the side chain only. This would be more in
agreement with usual rmsd conventions.

or

-Include the heavy atoms of the residue's backbone in the fit, to give
it enough to work with

When using commands that move things based on a fit, it is also usually
best to move the entire molecule, even if you only care about one
specific part of it.

Best,
Peter