Re: Force field for coarse grained simulations (and other questions)

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 07:58:12 CDT

Hi Patrick,
the paper you're referring to would be set up using shape-based, not
residue-based, coarse graining. If you let me know which one you're
referring to, I can give you more details about obtaining a forcefield
off-list (for shape-based CG, the parameters will need to be derived for
your system, using the procedure given in that paper and in /Biophysical
Journal/, 91:4589-4597, 2006).

For residue-based CG, you'd want to use the same parameters as in
Marrink's papers (since they are the basis for that model). For
shape-based CG, it's going to depend on your system; you need to choose
a value that's some small multiple (2-3) of the average rmin for your
nonbonded interactions. Values on the lower end of that range are
appropriate if you're mostly simulating the interactions of subunits in
a well defined structure; you may need the higher end if you want to see
aggregation. (which we haven't yet tried using this model -- some
refinements are probably needed).

The config files really are identical to a normal config file except for
the changes in timestep, nonbonded cutoff, and such. Again, I can send a
copy if you like, but I need to know what kind of simulation you're
planning first.

Best,
Peter