Re: Re: Diffusion of Protein through the membrane

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 10:32:49 CDT

Hi Ilya,
it seems to me that any velocity reassignment ought to be done strictly
by the thermostat, to make sure that your simulation is controlled and
consistent with the methods you think you're using. Even if you are
using a velocity reassignment thermostat, reinitializing the velocities
prior to each run will (at the very least) add additional reassignments
at more or less random points. If you're using (say) a langevin
thermostat, then you'll be adding velocity reassignments at random
timesteps to a method that is more specific about temperature control.
The problem with a random velocity reassignment is that it breaks up any
concerted motions that might be occurring at the point when you reassign
velocities. Most thermostats do this to some extent, but adding a
complete randomization to a previously existing thermostat may cause
problems and should probably be avoided (just don't to reinitvels in
your restarts and everything should be fine).
Best,
Peter