Re: Protein in/out of box

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 08:50:17 CDT

Hi Monika,
please have a look in the namd-l archives for other threads with this
question, such as the discussion rooted at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l/3919.html. In
brief, this doesn't indicate that your results are unreliable; it's just
that part (but not all) of your protein has moved into the periodic
image of your solvent box, but the output coordinates will not be
wrapped unless a complete chain of covalently bonded atoms move. If
you're only concerned with the protein, simply aligning the frames
should be fine for most of your analysis. You can also have a look at
the pbctools plugin
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/pbctools/) for manipulating
this. Please note that this is *not* a "discrepancy"; this is exactly
how the output is supposed to behave.
Peter