Why is SHAKE not being used in typical NAMD simulations ?

From: Himanshu Khandelia (hkhandel_at_memphys.sdu.dk)
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 08:06:04 CDT

Hello,

Most NAMD papers describe a simulation timestep of 1 fs, no shake, a
nonbondedfreq of 2, and an fullelecfreq. of 4. This is also what is
recommended in most NAMD tutorials.

However, use of a 2 fs timestep, a value of 1 for both the nonbondedfreq
and fullelecfreq results in 15-25 % faster performance in my tests. I can
provide more details of the tests if desired, but surely these tests must
have already been performed.

So why is SHAKE/RATTLE and a larger time step not being used for most
simulations?

Thank you for the help,

-Himanshu

Himanshu Khandelia, PhD