Water Hole

From: Jacob Poehlsgaard (mail_lists_at_hardcoil.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 03:00:54 CDT

Hi NAMD users

 I'm posting in this old topic because I've also run into this problem now.
I think I pretty much understand the concept of what Marcos is saying, but I
don't quite get how to implement it correctly.

 I have a RNA/protein system in a water box. I ran a lot of equilibrium runs
with constant temperature (using langvin), with gradually smaller restraints
on the various atoms to eqilibrate them and everything went well. When I
then wanted to do an actual production run (this is the first time I have
ever tried this "for real"), I switched the temperature control off. I did
this because I've read that production runs should run int the NVE ensemble,
using no environmental controls at all. In this run, a huge water hole
appeared rather rapidly.

 Should I have been using constant pressure control during my equilibrium
runs and then switched if off for production runs? If so should I switch off
both temperature and pressure controls at the same time?
 If pressure control works by rescaling the box, should I somehow alter the
cell basis vectors to fit these new dimensions in subsequent runs with the
output files?

Jacob Poehlsgaad
SDU, Denmark