Re: questions regarding output data of an ABF simulation

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_vitae.cmm.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 17:02:43 CDT

Dear Anahita,

I see from you config file that you have setup a broad reaction coordinate
interval with very fine bins (.01 Angstroms!), so unless you run an extremely
long simulation, it is not surprising that many of these bins end up being
empty.
The best way to see what happens is to use the output of "writeXiFreq" and
look at the xi(t) graph. The simplest way to do it is:
grep "Xi at timestep" abf-run.out | awk '{print $6, $8}' > xi_of_t.dat
and then open xi_of_t.dat with a plotting/spreadsheet program.
At the xi positions that the system actually visits, you should definitely
have *some* data.

In general, a bin width of .1 Angstrom is narrow enough to describe most PMFs
accurately.

Please post back to this list any further problems you may encounter with ABF.

Best,
Jerome