Re: protein moves away from water box

From: Sterling Paramore (paramore_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 19:00:01 CDT

1)For VMD: go to graphics, then representations, then click on the
periodic tab. There you can set in which directions you want the
periodic replicas to be drawn. If you're using a .dcd file, then it
should work just fine. If it's a pdb file you might have to manually
set the cell vectors using the tkconsole and the command: molinfo top
set a 10 (which sets the cell vector in the x direction to 10 angstroms,
likewise for the other directions).

2) Again, read about periodic boundary conditions (I assume you're using
periodic boundary conditions since you mentioned a box and the wrap
commands). With periodic boundary conditions, there is no such thing as
outside of the box and the center of the box is arbitrary and
meaningless. Allen and Tildesley have a great illustration (fig. 1.9),
which is almost identical to the figure I see in the first link I get
from google when searching for "periodic boundary conditions".

-Sterling