Re: sound velocity of water

From: Binquan luan (bqluan_at_uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 14:41:08 CDT

Hi Marc,
The idea is to measure the volume vs. pressure curve for a box of TIP3
water at constant temperature. It will give me the bulk modulus K of the
water. Then I can use formula Sqrt[K/density] to estimate the sound
velocity.

But the big pressure fluctuations may or may not cause trouble. I asked
a question on pressure fluctuations before and I found that pressure is
very constant without electrostatic interactions. I guess that I will
get quite constant volume and pressure after a long time average.

Please let me know if you or anyone else has a better idea.
Thanks,
Binquan