dual core processors

From: Leandro Martínez (leandromartinez98_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 11:04:01 CST

Dear namd users,
We have recently installed a cluster with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
processors. My question is about how this dual core processor must behave:

1. As if they were really two processors? They should be seen as two
processors
in the cpu? Should I use a SMP kernel? Should I launch two namd processes
for
each dual-core processor? If I launch two processes they should be seen in
top
using both 100% cpu as in a typical two-processor cpu?

2. It must be considered a single processor, appear as a single processor
and
the dual-core mechanism will distribute tasks by itself. I should launch
only
one namd process per cpu and a single-processor kernel must be used?

Does anybody knows how they should behave?
Thanks,
Leandro.

Leandro Martinez
Institute of Chemistry