Re: NAMD octahedron

From: Sterling Paramore (paramore_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 10:44:56 CST

I found the gromacs user manual helpfull for this (search for
octahedron): http://www.gromacs.org/documentation/paper_manuals.php.

Truncated octahedron periodic boundary conditions are isomorphic to
parallelepiped boundary conditions with specific cell vectors. So just
pick a minimum image distance, d, and use the vectors described in the
gromacs manual to set the cellBasisVector matrix. If you view the
simulation in VMD, it will look like a parallelepiped and not a
truncated octahedron, but they have exactly the same properties, so it
doesn't matter.

You shouldn't need to change the pressure control settings, or anything
about the force field. You most certainly do NOT want to useFlexibleCell
or useConstantRatio (it would likely ruin the truncated octahedron).

If you want to run NVT, just don't use a piston.

-Sterling