Re: only minimization

From: LEWYN LI (ll2150_at_columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 10:57:10 CST

Lily,

         Accordingly to my experience, you need to both minimize and
equilibrate the system before running a NAMD simulation. The temperature
of the system after a minimization is zero. So, if you just run a
simulation of a zero-temperature system at any finite temperature, the
system may become unstable. I suspect this is why you got the "Atom
moving too fast" error message.

         To equilibrate a system after minimization, you should gradually
heat the system up to the desired temperature, sometimes fixing certain
atoms or imposing so-called "harmonic constraints" on the system. It is a
bit of an art. I suggest that you consult the following and other
resources about equilibration:

www.orgitecture.com/folding/usr_doc/PracticalMD.pdf

         Hope this helps!

                                                         LEWYN