Re: NAMD memory problems on ASC's SGI Altix machine

From: Scott Atchley (atchley_at_myri.com)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 09:37:24 CST

Hi all,

I am looking into this issue at Myricom. When I run namd (dual
Opterons w/2GB of memory), the memory usage grows when I test with
mpich-mx, but not with mpich-gm or mpich-p4.

I then ran Fluent (a CFD) using mpich-mx and I do not see memory
growth. This does not rule out mpich-mx but it does not confirm it
either. Looking at the mpich-mx code, it allocates very little memory
and it is all at startup. We use valgrind on the MX library (used by
mpich-mx) and we find very few leaks (mostly items that valgrind has
trouble with like ioctl()).

I will plan to run more tests including turning off shmem in MX to
see if I can isolate where the memory leaks are occurring.

Scott