Re: simulation of membrane-protein systems

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 14:42:24 CST

As for new membrane types in the VMD plugin, it is certainly
possible, but when it will be implemented is undetermined. However,
for some bilayer compositions, you can find already-made pdbs on the
internet (for example, I think Scott Feller has a few).

Most membranes can be handled by CHARMM. The default parameter file
can be used; as for topology, I think POPC, POPE, and maybe DMPC are
included verbatim in the CHARMM topology. You can also build other
lipids from fragments present in the topology files (all on Alexander
Mackerell's website). Our Topology File Tutorial provides pretty
good instructions if you wanted to attempt building your own lipid
topology.