Re: dcd file format

From: Hyonseok Hwang (danggi_at_northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 20:47:42 CST

Hi, Leandro

 From NAMD 2.6, the default value of 'DCDUnitCell' option is 'Yes',
which means that the information of the cell size (=simulation box) is
automatically written in each frame if you use periodic boundary
condition. Until 2.5, 'No' was default value. The cell size information
includes the x, y, z length of the simulation box and three angles. If I
remember correctly, each variable has double size and there are dummy
integers in front and behind the cell size information. So total size is
4 + 6 * 8 + 4 = 56 Bytes. The 56 Bytes are taken in front of the
coordinations in each frame. So you have to consider this if you want to
read a DCD file from 2.6. If you want more detailed information on DCD
file structure, please see the "dcdlib.C" among the NAMD source codes.
I hope this will be of help.

Best,

-Hyon