Re: rigid protein

From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 13:12:53 CDT

I find this actually an interesting topic. Is it possible to apply NOE
restraints between two hydrogen atoms like with CHARMM?

Gianluca

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, JC Gumbart wrote:

> There is a way to directly apply constraints to bonds (between any two atoms,
> not just covalently linked ones), angles, etc. You could use this to apply a
> few distance restraints between arbitrary atoms on, say, the edges of your
> protein that could effectively make it rigid.
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.6/ug/node34.html#SECTION000973
>
> On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Marcos Sotomayor wrote:
>

> >I am afraid NAMD cannot treat proteins as rigid bodies easily. Both
> >fixedAtoms and constraints make reference to fixed points in space. If you
> >have one protein, then its OK (as Mark pointed out). However if you have many
> >proteins and you want to, lets say, see how they diffuse without worrying too
> >much about their internal motions, then those options are not useful.
> >
> >You could either put internal constraints using Tclforces (like virtual bonds
> >between different parts of the protein) or try to hack the Targeted MD code
> >so as to keep your protein within some RMSD from the original structure. All
> >these options, however, will not save you much computation time, which is
> >likely what you are looking for.
> >
> >Marcos
> >

> >On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, L. Michel Espinoza-Fonseca wrote:
> >
> > >Indeed, there is a way in which you can apply constraints to youf
> > >protein. You can change this:
> > >
> > >fixedAtoms on
> > >fixedAtomsForce on
> > >fixedAtomsFile your_fixed_protein.pdb
> > >fixedAtomsCol B
> > >
> > >By something like this:
> > >
> > >constraints on
> > >consRef your_restrained_protein.pdb
> > >consKFile your_restrained_protein.pdb
> > >consKCol B
> > >
> > >and you'll follow the same procedure in VMD to tell NAMD which atoms
> > >will be restrained:
> > >
> > >set all [atomselect top all]
> > >$all set beta 1
> > >$all writepdb your_restrained_protein.pdb
> > >
> > >As I mentioned before, you can play around with different values
> > >(i.e., from 0.3 to 1) and see which one gives you the desired results.
> > >
> > >You can also take a look to the NAMD manual for further information.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >Michel

Dr. Gianluca Interlandi gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    +1 (206) 714 4303
                    http://biocroma.unizh.ch/gianluca/

Postdoc at the Department of Bioengineering